Summary: Monica de Beer and her 2 children, and family dogs died in torched Norwood home; Christopher (69), and Jennifer Early, (62) of UK murdered at Woodgrange smallholdings, KZN; SAPS investigation of Van den Bosch double farm-murder slammed: Afrikaner Andre van der Merwe arrested & held in cells for two nights without any legal reasons, Oshoek border post
Monica de Beer, her two small children and the family dogs all died because their Norwood home was torched: SAPS
2010-07-20 NORWOOD, Johannesburg – SAPS spokesman Percy Morokane said a case of arson is being investigated after the horrific deaths on Sunday in Norwood of 35-year-old Afrikaner mom Monica de Beer and her children Rogan, 4 and Milla, 2. Their 12-year-old terrier dog Jay and labrador puppy Lola also perished in the fierce fire. Their father Shane had to be rescued by neighbours who had placed a ladder to the upper-floor bedroom window – and then the frantic dad had to be physically restrained from trying to go back iside to save his family, it was reported earlier. “It is a criminal investigation,’ said Morokane. The fire was reported to the emergency services on Sunday at around 21:30. The children’s bodies were found on the ground-floor of the home. The first report claimed that the fire had been caused by an exploding gas-bottle. The explosion was so loud that it was heard for miles around, Beeld newspaper reported.
Van den Bosch murder investigation slammed
2010-07-20 – The trial of Akhona Inocent Gini, 25, the suspected murderer of the devout Dutch dairy farming-couple, Johan and Cobi Van den Bosch, is scheduled for October 2010 at the Pretoria High Court. The immigrant-dairy farmers were murdered on Good Friday last year. Hilda Fourie writes that the couple’s son Wim has slammed the police investigation into an earlier robbery of R15,000 from his parents’ homestead – which has never been solved. Wim van den Bosch is convinced that if that earlier robbery had been solved and the thief put in jail, his parents would still be alive today.
The suspect worked for the couple – and six months before the murder had also been arrested after R15,000 in cash was robbed from the homestead. Wim van den Bosch said Gini was brougbht back to the homestead two hours later by a detective and he has heard nothing about the case ever since.
“I told the police at that time, six months before the murder of my parents, that the person who stole the money will be back. I told them that the best-case scenario will be when I have to take my parents to hospital; the worst-case scenario that I would have to bury them. And that’s exactly what I had to do six months later.’
39-year-old Van den Bosch Junior wants to have the breakin investigated thoroughly -- because he is convinced that it can be directly linked to his parents’ double-murder. Yet whenever he asks questions from the police, he meets a wall of utter confusion: everyone he speaks to tells him that the dossier is ‘with somebody else’, he said. Three weeks ago a colonel of the Hawks special police unit had told him that the break-in dossier was closed in January last year and never was reopened. Yet Lt-col Eugene Opperman, the Gauteng SAPS spokesman, told the son that ‘a unit at head office investigates the dossier.’ Opperman would not give the son a case number nor the investigating officer’s name or number. “Why do I have to wait two years? It is my right as a citizen of this country that this case be investigated. Perhaps if the case had been investigated at that time, and Gini had been caught, my parents would never have been murdered,’ he said. Opperman told Beeld that ‘the breakin cannot be linked to the murder case at this stage’. http://www.beeld.com/Suid-Afrika/Nuus/Hoekom-bekyk-polisie-nie-inbraak-by-ouers-20100720
2010-07-19 Gloria Edwards of Beeld newspaper reports that Crown Gardens, Booysens resident André van der Merwe (50) was arrested without any legal reason or an arrest warrant on Saturday-afternoon at the Oshoek border post with Swaziland, ostensably for an old drunk-driving charge which was dropped in 2001 because the dossier had gotten lost. He was forced to spend a night at the Oshoek police cell while his wife slept in the car. He’s had back surgery and a hip replacement and is medically unfit for work and on a disability pension. He says they can’t afford a lawyer to represent them.
The couple arrived at Oshoek because they wanted to go to Swaziland for a weekend break. “When we wanted to have our passports stamped I was told there was an outstanding warrant for my arrest from 2001 and I was tossed into the cells. The case was thrown out of the Booysens magistrate’s court in 2001 because they had lost the dossier,’ he said. He then was fetched by two officials of the Booysen police station on Sunday at 11am, and taken to the Johannesburg Central police station, where he spent another night in a cell. “I was declared medically unfit because of back surgery and a hip replacement. I was in such pain that I had to sleep in the cell bent into a foetus-position – yet they would not let a doctor examine me.’ He said the police officials from the Booysen police station drove so fast with him in the van that his wife, who was following in their car, could not keep up and had to phone them for directions. “I pleaded with them to let my wife follow us but they drove so fast that she had to phone them for directions,’ he said. He repeatedly asked the police for an arrest warrant but they could not produce one, he said. And then he was released Monday-morning without any charges nor even a court appearance: “the detective told me that they could not find my dossier…’ he said. Beeld asked SAPS inspector Gordon Billings of Booysens police for an explanation, and he said: “those things happen from time to time. Van der Merwe can lodge a civil claim against the police if he wants to’. Van der Merwe said he can’t afford the legal costs.. http://www.beeld.com/Suid-Afrika/Nuus/Aangehou-oor-niks-Dit-gebeur-maar-se-polisie-20100719
July 16 2010: The bodies of UK citizens Christopher Early, 69, and his wife Jennifer, 62, were found in the back of their damaged Volvo sedan, which had crashed in a ditch at Stick Farm, near the couple’s ransacked Woodgrange smallholding homestead at Hibberdene.
SAPS col. Jay Naicker said in the Mercury story headlined “Mystery over couple found dead in car’, by Gugu Mbonambi and Yusuf Moolla (left, page 1 of The Mercury, July 19, 2010), that the family of the elderly South Coast couple, who were bludgeoned to death in their home on July 16 2010, were expected to fly in from the USA to identify their bodies. A passerby had seen the couple's car in a ditch and alerted police."When police arrived they found several items in the vehicle and discovered the bodies in the back of the car," he said. “The killers must have driven the car with their victims inside to Stick Farm, where they crashed the vehicle and ran away. It would appear that the couple were assaulted with a blunt object, but a post mortem will be done to determine the cause of death. " No arrest has been made. The organised crime unit of Port Shepstone is investigating. July 19, 2010 http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=13&art_id=vn20100719045123763C827984
28 June 2010: An Afrikaner farmer, 63, suffered critical burn injuries after his car was torched when he came across four black men who were busy setting fire to his farm at Kaapsche Hoop near Nelspruit. The men set fire to the vehicle. The farmer managed to escape. Police have withheld the farmer's identity for ...fear of reprisals. He was admitted to the Rob Ferreira Hospital in Nelspruit for serious burn injuries. http://www.farmitracker.com/reports/view/288-
Solidarity trade union’s list of combined names of non-fatal and fatal farm attacks from 1993 to June 2009 http://www.solidariteitradio.co.za/wp-content/uploads/plaasaanvalle.pdf