20100515

Lethabo power station blast: one dead, 18 injured

 

Sulphur gas leak; explosion at Lethabo, Vereeniging power station – one man dead, 18 seriously injured with burns

Johannesburg - One man was killed and 18 other male workers were injured in an explosion at the 16-year-old, coal-fired 3,708MW Lethabo power station near Vereeniging on Saturday afternoon, paramedics said.  A dead man with severe burns was recovered by firefighters close to where a leak of sulphur gas was found and where the explosion had occurred, said ER24 spokeswoman Vanessa Jackson.

Lethabo Power Station

Location: Between Vereeniging and Sasolburg in the Free State.

The other 18 men were treated at the scene -- four sustained moderate burns to their hands and legs, while another complained of difficulty to breathe. Jackson said paramedics suspected that the man with the breathing problem had sustained inhalation burns. The rest of the patients sustained minor injuries and they were all taken to MediClinic in Vereeniging. Jackson said according to the injured workers, they had noted a leak on one of the pipes in their section and when they tried to release sulphur gas, the explosion occurred. Eskom spokesman Andrew Etsinger said they were “aware of the incident, but could not give details yet.”

Lethabo burns coal with a calorific value of 15 - 16 MJ/kg and an ash content of 42%. It is the only power station in the world running on such low grade coal. Lethabo was awarded NOSCAR status by the National Occupational Safety Association (NOSA) for the 10th time in 2005. http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/Blast-at-power-station-1-dead-20100515

-------------------

The ongoing warfare in South Africa’s mean streets: Afrikaans actor Neels van Jaarsveld was robbed in upper Long-Street, a popular tourism-spot where another man was also robbed a week earlier in broad daylight; a son rushes to his parents’ defence in Benoni – leaving one armed robber dead, one injured, and the third under arrest…

---------------------

Actor Neels van Jaarsveld robbed in popular WC2010 tourist spot in Cape Town

Afrikaner actor Neels van Jaarsveld was targetted and assaulted by a ‘huge man’ whle leaving a party at upper-Long Street in Cape Town on Tuesday-night, reports Die Burger journalist Kobus Pretorius. “This huge man appeared behind me from out of nowhere when I was on the way to my car. He kicked me against my ‘bad leg’ and I found myself on the ground with an ugly wound to my head.’ Van Jaarsveld injured a leg while working on the movie “The Bang Bang Club’. His attacker looted his wallet, cellphone, driver’s license, golfclub-membership card and bank cards.

Long Street in Cape Town is listed as one of the most popular tourism-hotspots for visitors to the World Cup 2010 football tournaments, reports the newspaper.

Another man also was attacked in broad daylight in Long Street and robbed of his camera and wallet while he was taking photographs. Reportedly four men identified as ‘Nigerians’  stuck a knife to his throat and robbed him, according to the unidentified crime-victim. http://www.beeld.com/Suid-Afrika/Nuus/Akteur-loop-deur-onder-booswig-n%C3%A1-partytjie-20100513

-------------------------------

Son rushes to parents’ defence: one armed robber later found dead, one injured – and the SAPS arrested the third one…

 

2010-05-15 Wolfram Zwecker of Beeld newspaper reports that an unnamed couple of Benoni was followed from their Boksburg bank after withdrawing cash inside the East Rand Mall. The gang held up the couple at gunpoint inside their Brentwood home and tried to rob them. However an hour later, said SAPS  Brig Sheryl Venter, station commander at Benoni, ‘the three suspects were found inside a car at the Lakeside Mall’s underground car-park. One man was dead, one was seriously injured and the third man was arrested by the police’.

It turned out that before the armed gang could depart with their loot, the son of the couple had stormed out of the house and got into a gun-fight with the armed gang.  The gang then drove off and apparently went to ground in the parking garage. A post-mortem will have to determine whose gun had fired the deadly shot. Venter warned people to ‘be on the alert when withdrawing cash’. http://www.beeld.com/Suid-Afrika/Nuus/Seun-skiet-rowers-kis-in-aanval-by-ouers-se-huis-20100514

Expats march against SA crime in London

 

May 15 2010 LONDON UK - Participants in today’s peaceful London protest march against the out-of-control violent LONDON PROTESTS MAY15 5crime epidemic in South Africa said there were 'quite a few journalists' covering the  march at the South African embassy in Trafalgar Square in London on May 15 2010. There also was a police presence but there were no incidents of violence and no arrests were made.

The protestors first met at the Eros statue in Piccadilly circus – and as they started emerging from the tube-station exit they started catching the eye of the many webcam operators because of their bright-red t-shirts..

Despite fears by some participants that ‘right-wing posters’ would also be displayed – there were none. Many people carried white crosses with their own personal messages on them, other carried hand-made banners and posters.

One female protestor wrote that there “were some elements who tried to taunt us but we didn't bite.

Why are your people  being murdered like that?  

“Things remained peaceful, although, “ - she added that when she was questioned by a female journalist she got ‘pretty hot under the collar. “Especially when the journalist asked me why I thought we were being murdered like that; whether I knew the people on my placard, where I got the pictures and whether I would ever go home again?"

“I replied that 'of course I will go home, it's my country and the land of my forefathers and we developed it. The journalist said she could see I was upset about all the events and I replied: "of course, wouldn't you have been upset too? Our women, children and elderly are being targetted, these are defenceless, frail human beings who cannot defend themselves. Groups of attackers numbering as many as 15 men descend on them, gang-rape them, torture them until they're dead...How can one remain calm under those circumstances, especially because the government does nothing to stop it.?

"it was a very somber and successful walk through the streets. We left behind our placards and crosses at the SA embassy - to at least show them the extent of our anger'.

Bottom picture: A week earlier, a small group of expat-Afrikaners belonging to the Jack Hindon Scouts movement in London also held a silent protest outside the Parliament buildings to protest against the continuing silence of the UK government over the devastating murder-rate among their compatriots in South Africa.

londonprotestsmay15_8

StopBoerGenocideJackHindonScoutsProtestMay82010LONDON

Afrikaans youth sodomised in cell

 

Some 300 members of the ruling African National Congress party carried “WAR” placards at the courtroom during the appearance of four Afrikaner youths…

PHALABORWA. A group of four drunken Afrikaner youths had angrily retaliated against ANC youth league leader Julius Malema’s genocidal hatespeech incitements of “Shoot the Boer” -- by damaging the gravesite of the ANC’s former ambassador to Indonesia . Yesterday the four deeply traumatised young men stood in the Phalaborwa court-room while their legal representatives described the severe punishment they received at the hands of the police and in the holding cells after their arrest.

“War” says ANC

Just outside, sKillBoerKillFarmer_ANCSloganMeansKillAllWhites University Free State SASCO supporterome 300 members of the the local ANC and ANC-youth league were loudly protesting near the court room with placards stating ‘War”., reports Beeld newspaper.

Meanwhile the four arrested Afrikaners – all very clearly in a traumatised state according to the Beeld journalist --  told the magistrate that they were “sorry they had damaged the gravesite” in their drunken bout; but that they also and most definitely were not members of any rightwing groups and that they were not guilty of any of the SAPS claims that they wanted to carry out terrorist attacks and that they owned any illegal weapons-and ammunition-caches.

--------------------------

Picture: The Afrikaner/Boer minority in South Africa is growing increasingly fearful and defensive because of the ongoing genocidal hatespeech chants at public rallies of the ruling African National Congress and its youth league. The hatespeech is causing rapid racial polarisation in South Africa and the country’s president Jacob Zuma seems unable to punish his youth league president Julius Malema for this inciting behaviour. A recent internal hearing found Malema guilty only of ‘insulting the ANC leadership.’

-----------------------------------

Journalist Marietie Louw-Cartens reported from the Phalaborwa magistrate’s court that the charge sheet against the four youths also stated that they would be charged with ‘treason and terrorism’. Two of the four accused, George Kiratizidis, 21 and Marthinus Christopher Vorster, 19, who matriculated from the Frans du Toit High school last year, admitted during their bail application that they had damaged the grave of Norman Mashabane, the former ambassador to Indonesia – but that they are innocent of any of the other charges which the state has submitted. They said they were not members of any organisation. They apologised for damaging the gravesite.

One Afrikaner youth’s legal representative said  André Stroh, 21, arrested on April 30, was sodomised in a police cell and now is under ARV-treatment.  George Kiratizidis, 21, asked to be released on bail because he is infected with bilharzia, Marthinus Vorster, 19, was beaten so hard by police-officers enroute to a questioning session that he suffered a burst left-ear drum and now is on the verge of suicide according to reports submitted to the court from a medical doctor and a psychiatrist.  The youths all vehemently deny  that they had any ‘plots’ to plant bombs or overthrow the State. The SAPS claims in its charge sheet that the youths were ‘found with pipe-bombs and ammo for a variety of weapons including military-attack carbines.” 

“Shoot the Boer’ leads to damage to gravesite – Beeld headline

The four young men told their story through their legal representative to the (unnamed) magistrate during their bail application on May 14 2010. The Beeld newspaper’s meaningless headline for this story read: “Shoot the Boer’ leads to damage to gravesite’.

They admitted during their bail application hearing – which continues next Wednesday -- that they had damaged the grave of ANC-stalwart Norman Mashabane, the former ambassador to Indonesia – but that they are innocent of any of the other charges which the State has entered on their charge-sheets. They said they were not members of any organisation, rightwing or otherwise. They apologised for damaging the gravesite.

“We were angry with the ANC and Mr Julius Malema about his hatespeech and were speaking about ways to defend ourselves if a civil war broke out against us,’ said Mr Kiratizidis in a statement read by his legal representative.

Vorster said the four had been drinking and then ‘carried out the ridiculous idea that we would go and damage Mr Mashabane’s gravesite.  The bail application of Ruan Rufus Louw, 22, will be heard next Wednesday.

The case of the fourth young man,  André Stroh (21) was withdrawn by adv Shaun Abrahams SC of the National Prosecuting Authority except possession of illegal ammunition.

  • The SAPS charge sheet claims that the youths had ‘seven pipe-bombs, a large amount of ammunition, a 9-mm pistol and bullets for AK47, R5- and R1 military attack carbines.

Vorster suffered burst eardrum from SAPS beating and is suicidal:

Kiratizidis and Vorster said in their statements that shortly after their arrests, the SAPS asked them repeatedly whether they belonged to the Afrikaner Weerstandsbeweging, the Boeremag or the Suidlanders organisations. Both denied this and said they were assaulted by the SAPS during questioning. Vorster’s legal representative submitted a medical statement showing that he suffered a burst left-ear drum because he was bashed against the head. A psychological report was also submitted stating the young man was ‘on the verge of psychosis and at risk of suicide.’ Yesterday he stood in the witness stand with a Bible in his hand.

André Stroh (21): arrested 30 April, sodomised in police cell, beaten by police; Kiratizidis suffers from bilharzia

Stroh’s legal representative, said he was arrested on 30 April and held in the Dendron SAPS cells. He said while enroute to Polokwane/Pietersburg for questioning, on May 2, members of the SAPS beat him in the face and the stomach. A medical report was also submitted showing that Stroh was sodomised and now under antiretroviral treatment to prevent AIDS-transfer. “He was sodomised by a man named Joe Black,’ read the statement. Kiratizidis asked to be released because he suffered from bilharzia.

Mr Francois Vos, 36, and Stroh were ordered to appear in court on 25 June. The case against Albertus Kruger, 22 and Hendrik Venter, 21, were withdrawn last week. Meanwhile Kiratizidus, Vorster and Louw remain in custody until Wednesday, when their bail application hearing will continue. http://www.beeld.com/Suid-Afrika/Nuus/Skiet-die-Boer-lei-tot-skend-van-graf-20100514

image