Pages

20101105

Afrikaner campers attacked in Brits

Life-partners Jackie Coomber and Tessa de Villiers, two teen sons attacked by four black men at Brits campsite and brutally beaten but SAPS refused to respond…

------------------

Afrikaans family struggled for three days to report armed attack to police:

BRITS – Nov 2 2010 – Jackie Coomber’s ear was nearly chopped off and her arm was broken when she fiercely fought to protect her family from four black men armed with a panga and pick handles at a Brits campsite.

Coomber Jackie Attack TransMagalies Caravan Park BRITS Nov22010

While Jackie Coomber, 38, (on picture) was wrestling with the attackers, her wife, 37-year-old Tessa de Villiers, covered their 13-year-old sons, Anton de Villiers and Martin Matthee with her body to protect them and keep them calm. The family from Brits were attacked while they were asleep in their tent at the Trans Magalies caravan park on Friday night.

  • Mrs Coomber’s right ear had to be reattached after the attack. Doctors also operated on her broken right arm to repair the nerves in her hand. Some of her teeth were also knocked loose and her body is covered in bruises from all the beating she endured.

De Villiers said they took the boys to go fishing at the caravan park on Friday.“I woke up at midnight when I heard the tent’s zip being opened.“When I looked up, I saw four men in the tent. One of them had a panga and the other three had pick handles.”
The men went straight for Coomber. “They told us to be quiet in English,” Coomber said.
“I said they can take everything, but they started beating me while I was still lying on my back.“I kicked at them and the only thing that kept going through my mind was that I had to protect my family. “At least I managed to pay them back with a few nice kicks and a good beating. In the process, I even saved Tessa’s handbag,” Coomber said.“When Jackie collapsed next to me and everything went quiet, I ran to get help,” De Villiers said.
The family struggled for three days to report the incident to the police.

De Villiers said a police official who was also camping there called the local police, but they never responded to the emergency calls.

  • “Both the Brits police and the Hartbeespoort police refused to let me report the incident. At the Brits police station, a police official told me they don’t have any stationery, and that I can’t report the incident on behalf of Jackie - who was sedated at the time - anyway. I went to the Brits police station with a journalist from the local newspaper, the Brits Pos, on Monday. It was only then that they finally helped me. The police took Jackie’s statement that same afternoon,” De Villiers said.

  • Brigadier Mokhele Seboloki, station commander, earlier told Beeld they are now ‘investigating charges of armed robbery and attempted murder’.
    The attackers fled only with three cellphones and De Villiers's car keys.
    http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/Campers-attacked-with-panga-and-picks-20101102

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.