March 27 2009 – By Beeld newspaper. Skin-cancer sufferer Helene van Zyl, 54, was pistol-whipped six times through the face after she told one of her four armed attackers that he would 'get her cancer' if he tried to raped her.
- The attackers became even angrier with her when they found just a small sum of cash in her wallet and snarled: "you lie, you white bitch, we know you are rich...'
Their ordeal started after the men kicked a massive hole into the brick wall around the high-security estate and crashed their way into the couple's double story home at around 2.45am. "If you make a mess, we will shoot you,' were the first words the sleeping Van Zyl couple heard as the men, all armed with parabellum handguns, stormed into their bedroom.
After the beatings, their bed was coated in blood, she said. They stole the couple's four handguns - which by law have to remain locked in the government-registered safe – as well as their cellphones and her jewellery.
- Police sergeant Marinda Stoltz said nobody has been arrested, of course. Mr Van Zyl also was irate with the developer of the estate for building such a 'pathetic single-brick-thick wall' , which was clearly inadequate, as it was easy to kick holes through it, as they found out.
Live slaughter of five prime Fresian cows shocks farmer
Farmer Herman Boersma of the farm Welverdiend in Meyerton was heartbroken when he found five of his beloved, very valuable Fresian dairy cows slaughtered in the veld.
- He believes the animals must have suffered terribly: From all the signs it looks as if some were slaughtered while still alive, he said.
Each of these registered Fresian animals has a resale value of between $5,000 to $7,000.
The livestock thieves only cut off their shoulder blades and thighs – and clearly were skilled in butchery, he noted.
The farmer only realised that the cows were missing when they didn't show up in their 'first milking team'. He always divides them up into teams of twelve, and the girls show up themselves to be milked when it’s their turn, he said.
They started searching and found the dead animals in a neighbouring farmer's field.
Sheep were also slaughtered on a nearby farm at Bloemendal, and nine cows were also slaughtered in exactly the same manner on another neighbour's farm last month, he said.
Police constable Lephoto is investigating. He can be contacted at Meyerton police, 016 362 0126.
Cape Town the second-most violent city in the world
March 27 2009 - The ANC government had mastered delivering lower crime statistics, but remained amateur when it came to protecting the country's people, the opposition party COPE’s Western Cape premier candidate in the April 22 election, Prof Alan Boesak said on Sunday.
- "Crime has installed itself into the soul of [our] country... it has been coming at us with such regularity that all of us, on occasion, become immune to bad news," Boesak said.
Boesak said reported robberies with aggravating circumstances may have declined by 7.4 percent, but by 2004 there had already been an increase of almost 58,000 reported cases since the 1994 elections.
And while common assault declined by 6.6 percent last year, statistics had rocketed since 1994, with more than 61,000 incidents annually.
- Indecent assaults had also more than doubled in the decade between 1994 and 2004, so a 2.1 percent decline in 2008 "was pretty meaningless when measured this way".
"Last year, Cape Town was awarded the dubious honour of ranking second in the United States’ foreign policy ranking of the top five murder capitals of the world," said Boesak.
- "The only city more violent than Cape Town is Caracas in Venezuela. It is a disgrace."
6 people a day murdered in Cape Town alone…
He said Cape Town reported a murder rate of 62 people per 100,000. With approximately 3.5 million people, that equates to almost six people violently dying in Cape Town daily.